What is a respiratory therapist? What happens in surgery? What does a laboratory technician do? What is a physical therapist?
You can get the answers to these questions and others by joining Crossing Rivers Health Club Scrub, a new health careers program for middle school-aged students!
Club Scrub is an after-school program designed to spark interest in health-related careers among 7th and 8th-grade students through informative and interactive, hands-on activities.
- Club Scrub meets once a month January through May at Crossing Rivers Health.
- Fifteen students are accepted into the program each year on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Registration for the next Club Scrub group opens in November. The deadline to register is December 1.
- Club Scrub will meet on the third Wednesday of each month from 4:15 p.m. - 5:30 p.m., January 2020 - May 2020 at Crossing Rivers Health. Dates for 2019 include:
- Wednesday, January 15, 2020
- Wednesday, February 19, 2020
- Wednesday, March 18, 2020
- Wednesday, April 15, 2020
- Wednesday, May 20, 2020
- There will be a full agenda for each meeting, so it is very important that we begin on time.
- We will open each meeting with a healthy snack and a short discussion.
Try your hand at laparoscopic or robotic surgery, giving an injection, performing a lab test, and much more!
Students will have the opportunity to speak with health care providers and try things out in a variety of hospital departments, such as:
- Infection Control
- Respiratory Therapy
The primary goal of the program is to increase awareness of health-related professions and the numerous career opportunities that are available in the health sciences.
Crossing Rivers Health Club Scrub will provide a great opportunity for students to acquire this knowledge by working side-by-side with Crossing Rivers Health employees working in the field!
- Students will receive a free scrub top and official Crossing Rivers Health Club Scrub Badge.
- Snacks will be provided.
- Transportation will be the responsibility of the parent/legal guardian.
Frequently asked questions
Q: Is there any cost to participate?
There is no cost to participate in this program! As a member of Crossing Rivers Health Club Scrub you will receive a free scrub top, name badge, snack at every meeting, and all of the necessary materials/supplies.
Q: As a parent/guardian, can I stay and watch?
In order to provide an experience free of distractions, parents are asked to drop students off and pick them up at the end of each meeting. We are also limited on space in some occasions which would make it very difficult to accommodate additional people. We will capture photos of the many activities and share them for you to enjoy.
Q: Will my son or daughter be exposed to any blood or bodily fluids?
Activities may simulate blood or bodily fluids, but at no time will students be exposed to actual bodily fluids.
Q: If my son or daughter is in 7th grade this year, can he/she participate again next year as an 8th grader?
In order to give as many students as possible an opportunity to experience Club Scrub, enrollment is limited to one year.
Q: If I have concerns at any point during my son or daughter’s experience in Club Scrub, who should I contact?
For questions or concerns, please contact:
Q: If the weather is poor will you cancel?
If weather conditions are poor or anticipated to be poor, we will make a decision to cancel as early as possible. We will notify you via the cell phone number you listed on the registration form. The cancelation will also be posted on our website and Facebook. If school is canceled in the Prairie du Chien School District that day or there is an early dismissal due to poor weather, we will cancel Club Scrub that evening. Please feel free to call or email if you are unsure. In the event we do need to cancel, we will make every effort to reschedule the program for another night. You will be notified of the change via cell phone. The change will also be posted on our website and Facebook.
|Start time:||4:15 PM|
|End time:||5:30 PM|
|Location:||George Family Education Center|