Safe Sitter is a medically accurate course designed to prepare students in grades 6 - 8 to be safe when they're home alone, watching younger siblings, or babysitting.
The instructor-led class is filled with fun games and role-playing exercises. Students even get to use manikins to practice rescue skills like choking rescue and CPR.
Masking is required and CDC COVID-19 guidelines will be in place.
Additional Course Details:
- Students are required to attend the entire day in order to obtain a completion card.
- The cost is $50 (A scholarship is available to those who qualify)
- Students should bring a sack lunch.
- Pre-registration is required.
- Class size is limited, so register early because they fill up quickly!
Safe Sitter is a competency-based, highly structured, interactive curriculum which was researched and developed by Patricia Keener, M.D., Clinical Professor and Associate Chairman, Department of Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine. Curriculum content includes general information about babysitting as a business, child care techniques/child development, behavior management, safety concerns, prevention techniques, first aid information, CPR, and skills used to rescue a child with an obstructed airway. The first aid information is based on recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Only Safe Sitter certified instructors at Safe Sitter certified sites are authorized to offer the Safe Sitter program.