Crispy whole wheat baked parmesan-crusted chicken tenders
From Shelby Moose, Crossing Rivers Health Registered Dietitian
Serves: Serves 4
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1¼ lb. (about 8) chicken tenders
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet lined with foil. Coat with cooking spray.
- Place the whole wheat flour in a medium bowl.
- In a shallow container, whisk together the eggs, Dijon mustard, and paprika.
- In a separate shallow container, combine the panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Working with one chicken tender at a time, dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- Next, dip in the egg mixture until the chicken is coated.
- Last, roll the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture, completely coating the outside.
- Transfer the chicken tenders to the prepared wire rack.
- Lightly coat the chicken tenders with cooking spray. Bake until the chicken is just cooked through and the breadcrumbs are starting to brown, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
Serve with Dijon or honey mustard.
Adapted from the kitchen of Cookin' Canuck | www.cookincanuck.com
If you are interested in making an appointment with Shelby, ask your primary care provider for a referral.