Honey Dijon garlic chicken breasts
From Shelby Moose, Crossing Rivers Health Registered Dietitian
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 6 oz. each
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 6 cloves minced garlic (or 6-9 tsp. bottled minced garlic)
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- Optional spices: basil, parsley, or whatever you like!
- Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with aluminum foil. Use a baking pan that is large enough to have a half-inch of space around each chicken breast but no more. Using too large a baking dish can cause the glaze to be too shallow in the pan and burn easily.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a small sauté pan. Add the garlic and cook for only 30-60 seconds to soften it. Do not brown the garlic.
- Add the honey, Dijon mustard and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and boil until it reduces to a glaze, stirring so it doesn’t burn.
- Lightly season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place the chicken breasts an equal distance apart in the pan. Pour the hot glaze evenly over the chicken.
- Place in a 425 degree F oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and baste the breasts with the glaze in the bottom of the pan. Return to the oven for an additional 15-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the thickest part of the breast reads 170 degrees F.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
**If you’d like a thicker glaze: In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch with a little cold water until it’s very smooth and watery- but not a paste. Then, gradually stir the corn starch/water mixture into the hot glaze mixture until it’s blended. Be sure to stir constantly. You’ll want to bring the mixture to boil and boil it for 1-2 minutes.
Recipe by Rock Recipes at http://www.rockrecipes.com/honey-dijon-garlic-chicken-breasts/
If you are interested in making an appointment with Shelby, ask your primary care provider for a referral.