Scrumptious stuffed peppers
From Shelby Moose, Crossing Rivers Health Registered Dietitian
Yield: 6 peppers
Ingredients in this recipe can easily be changed up.
Instead of ground beef, try black beans, or cubed or shredded leftover chicken or pork. Instead of basic rice, substitute with quinoa, Spanish rice, Jasmine rice -whatever you like best!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 6 large red, yellow, orange or green peppers
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can mild Rotel or can of diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (Optional)
- Olive oil
- Cut off the tops of peppers, discard seeds and membranes.
- Chop usable portion of the pepper top.
- In a large skillet, brown beef, minced garlic, chopped pepper tops, and chopped onion until meat is browned and vegetables are tender. Drain off excess fat.
- Add undrained tomatoes, uncooked rice, water, salt, Worcestershire, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese.
- Place peppers in a deep baking dish and stuff peppers until full.
- Lightly drizzle outside of peppers with olive oil to help keep them moist while baking.
- Cover and bake in the oven at 350° F for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and use remaining shredded cheese to top peppers.
- Let the cheese melt, then serve and enjoy!
If you are interested in making an appointment with Shelby, ask your primary care provider for a referral.