- 2-3 cans beans, rinsed and drained (I like pinto, black, and kidney beans)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 cloves garlic minced (optional)
- 1 cup chopped green or red pepper
- 1 cup chopped zucchini (optional)
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes (un-drained)
- ½ cup broth or tomato juice
- 2 Tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Sauté over medium heat chopped onion, garlic, green pepper, can of tomatoes.
- In a large stock pan add all ingredients and cook until tender, simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt to taste.
Suggested toppings: plain yogurt, shredded cheese and/or chopped cilantro
Suggested accompaniments: Brown rice or cornbread.
Makes about 8-9 cups.