Recently, the laboratory partnered with the American Red Cross to offer the community and fellow employees the opportunity to donate blood by hosting blood drives here at Crossing Rivers Health Medical Center.
Information is available through the American Red Cross. The website provides great information and illustrations on the eligibility to donate, information for first-time donors, how to best prepare your body for a donation, the donation process and what happens after donation.
- Every two seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- More than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- More than 1 million people are diagnosed with cancer each year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- Blood cannot be manufactured; it can only come from generous donors.
- One donation can save the lives of up to three people.
- An actual blood donation takes less than 10 to 12 minutes. The entire process, from the time you arrive to the time you leave, takes about one hour and 15 minutes.
The need is constant. The gratification is instant. Give blood.