The compassionate and caring experts at Crossing Rivers Health take pride in making the birth of your baby very special and memorable, for all involved.
Why choose the Birthing Center at Crossing Rivers Health?
We'll help you get ready for baby.
- Obstetrics care close to home - We have a commitment to providing compassionate care to women and families, through every stage of life. Our team approach allows you to develop a custom birth plan, to ensure your care meets your personal desires and needs. Providers from Crossing Rivers Health and Mayo Clinic deliver at our Birthing Center. Let your provider know that you want to deliver close to home - at Crossing Rivers Health.
- Home Medical Equipment Retail Store - Crossing Rivers Health Home Medical Equipment (HME) Retail Store offers an extensive array of products including prenatal vitamins, compression stockings, support pillows, and breast pumps.
- Ultrasound imaging - Our state-of-the-art ultrasound system provides you with detailed 3D and 4D images of your baby. This technology allows physicians to better evaluate and identify potential risks to your unborn baby’s health. At the end of your session, you will receive a CD with video clips and still images of your baby.
- Childbirth Education Classes - This one day class provides an excellent opportunity to assist you and your chosen guest with preparations for labor and delivery, postpartum care, newborn care, and feeding options. We recommend registering early in your pregnancy, in order to allow you to complete this course prior to your due date.
You'll feel comfortable and confident.
Here is what you can expect when you deliver your little one at Crossing Rivers Health Medical Center:
- Private spacious labor, delivery, recovery, and postpartum suites. Each postpartum suite features a large flat screen TV, a mini refrigerator, large windows with beautiful views and natural light, and a couch that converts to a bed.
- Large whirlpool tub to use during the early stages of labor.
- State-of-the-art fetal monitoring, portable to facilitate mom's freedom of movement, that communicates critical data to your labor and delivery team.
- Birthing balls, squat bars, and rocking chairs.
- A state-of-the-art infant security system for protection and continuous monitoring, ensuring your peace of mind.
- Our advanced nurse call system ensures nursing care is always close at hand.
- Once labor begins, mothers stay in the same room for the birth of their baby and through the first hours of the recovery period. Moms who deliver by cesarean section will be cared for in our state-of-the-art surgical suite.
- State-of-the-art infant warmers to assist with baby, if necessary, with breathing and temperature control.
- A state-of-the-art nursery in close proximity to the mother's suite.
- Wireless internet.
- Complimentary gifts.
- A complimentary meal for significant other.
- A family waiting room is located close by with coffee service and snacks. In addition, your family can dine in our spacious cafeteria on meals prepared by our expert chef or warm up by the fireplace.
We support the bond between mother and baby.
We support the bond between mother and baby and offer the following options for you and your little one.
- Transition care—your baby is assessed and bathed in your presence.
- Rooming in—care for you and your baby is provided in your post-delivery room.
- Kangaroo care—your baby is placed directly on your chest for skin-to-skin contact right after birth to promote the bond between mother and infant.
- Newborn feeding—we provide support whether you are breastfeeding, breast-pumping or bottle-feeding.
- Parental coaching—we teach you about your newborn's behavior and how to respond to their cues.
We'll help manage your pain.
Nitrous oxide use in labor and delivery
Nitrous oxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is a mix of 50% nitrous and 50% oxygen that is inhaled.
How does it work?
Nitrous oxide works by increasing endorphins, dopamine, and other natural chemicals in the brain while also decreasing the release of cortisol. The patient manages their own pain control by placing the mask on their face during a contraction, to help relieve pain and anxiety.
Are there side effects for me or my baby?
Some women may experience nausea or dizziness. There are no known side effects for your baby. Nitrous oxide is the only pain relief method used for labor that is cleared from the body through the lungs. As soon as the mask is pulled away, the nitrous effect is gone after a couple of breaths.
Am I eligible?
Not everyone is a candidate for nitrous oxide use. A few reasons someone may not be eligible include:
- You received a dose of narcotics in the past two hours
- You cannot hold your own face mask
- You are being treated for pernicious anemia
- You have a B12 deficiency for which you take B12 supplements
Can I be up out of bed while using nitrous?
Yes, as long as you are steady on your feet.
Benefits and Advantages of Nitrous Oxide:
- Easy to use
- Takes effect quickly
- Quick recovery
- Can be used at any time right up until the birth
- Can move around with assistance
- Does not slow down the labor progress or pushing
Epidural for labor analgesia
An epidural is a method for delivering pain relief drugs or local anesthetics through a tiny tube called a catheter placed in the small of the back, just outside the spinal canal. An advantage of the epidural is that it allows most women to fully participate in the birth experience (continue to feel touch and pressure) while relieving most, if not all the pains of labor.
All women may not be a candidate for this type of labor analgesia.
Be sure to speak with your delivering provider to discuss your options for pain control.
We'll be there to support you after baby.
- Jerry's Gift Shoppe - Flowers or gifts can be purchased at Jerry's Gift Shoppe located near the Main Entrance of the Medical Center.
- Free car seat safety check - A certified safety seat technician will make sure your car seat is appropriate for your child, that it is installed correctly and that the child is harnessed safely.
- Home visit - A follow-up home visit by a registered nurse.
- Financial counseling - A financial counselor is available. If you would like to speak to one, please let us know.
- Crossing Rivers Child Care - Crossing Rivers Health Child Care is a state-licensed group daycare that serves 64 children (39 daycare and 25 preschool positions) ages 6 weeks through 12 years.
- Primary care - If you are looking for a primary care provider, Crossing Rivers Health Clinics in Prairie du Chien and Fennimore provide individualized care to meet your family's needs. We pride ourselves on providing a continuum of care locally so that patients do not have to travel out of town for quality healthcare.
We would love to give you a personal tour of our Birthing Center. Give us a call today at 608.357.2000 or click the link below to have a member of our team contact you.