Harvest of the Month - Copper Penny Salad
From Shelby Moose, Registered Dietitian
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup oil
- ½ can (10 ¾ oz.) condensed tomato soup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Several shakes worcestershire sauce
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup green pepper, diced
- ½ cup onion, diced small or rings as pictured
- Bring a pot of water to boiling, add the carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes. You want the carrots to be tender but still firm. Remove from heat, drain and rinse with cold water until the carrots have cooled.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, soup, mustard and Worcestershire sauce and mix together until well blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the marinade from heat and let cool for 15 minutes or so.
- In a large bowl, mix together the carrots, celery, green pepper and onion.
- Pour the marinade over the veggies, stir well, cover and refrigerate overnight so that the flavors have a chance to blend together.
- Serve as a side dish or as a main dish.