Harvest of the Month - Honey Dijon Garlic Chicken Breasts
From Shelby Moose, Crossing Rivers Health Registered Dietitian
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 4 large boneless skinless Chicken Breasts, about 6 oz. each
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 6 cloves minced Garlic (or 6-9 tsp. bottled minced Garlic)
- pinch Salt and Pepper
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- Optional Spices: basil, parsley, or whatever you like!
1. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with aluminum foil. Use a baking pan that is large enough to have a half inch of space around each chicken breast but no more. Using too large a baking dish can cause the glaze to be too shallow in the pan and burn easily. Preheat oven to 425 degree F.
To prepare the glaze
1. Melt the butter in a small sauté pan. Add the garlic and cook for only 30-60 seconds to soften it. Do not brown the garlic.
2. Add the honey, Dijon mustard and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and boil until it reduces to a glaze, stirring so it doesn’t burn.
3. Lightly season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place the chicken breasts an equal distance apart in the pan. Pour the hot glaze evenly over the chicken.
4. Place in a 425 degree F oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and baste the breasts with the glaze in the bottom of the pan. Return to the oven for an additional 15-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the thickest part of the breast reads 170 degrees F.
5. Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
**If you’d like a thicker glaze: In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch with a little cold water until it’s very smooth and watery- but not a paste. Then, gradually stir the corn starch/water mixture into the hot glaze mixture until it’s blended. Be sure to stir constantly. You’ll want to bring the mixture to boil, and boil it for 1-2 minutes.
Recipe by Rock Recipes at http://www.rockrecipes.com/honey-dijon-garlic-chicken-breasts/